The Sony SLT-A33 is part of the new SLT category which means Single Lens Translucent.  It has a 14.3 megapixel sensor with an ISO range of up to 12,800.  The camera can shoot 7 frames per second in continuous shooting mode.  The view screen can be rotated to multiple view angles for multiple shooting situations.  With the non-mechanical mirror, the 15 point auto focus continues even while shooting.  This is extremely helpful when shooting in video or movie mode.  However, the screen and the electronic viewfinder don’t show the exact image that the camera is capturing through the lens.

The translucent technology is new technology and hasn’t yet been perfected, but it will more than likely be greatly improved over time.  It is a technology that will appeal to a segment of the photography community.  Because only 70% of the light passes through the mirror to the sensor, (the other 30% is reflected into the viewfinder) there is effectively a loss of light equivalent to 1/3 stop.  Because there isn’t a base line light sensitivity in sensors as there is in film, this minor loss of light can easily be overcome.

Tags: Sony SLT-A33, Image quality, Ergonomics, Amateur, Review

Sony SLT-A33

View all Sony SLT A33 videos

related

comments

Showing 1 comments

Jon (1:10 PM, July 04, 2012)
Mirrorless is the future not translucent