Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 Photo #45 Sir Robert Clayton (outside St. Thomas' Hospital, London)

Loading...
St. Thomas' Hospital had its origin in the infirmary of St. Mary Overy Priory by London Bridge, founded early in the 12th century and named St. Thomas' Spital after the canonization of Thomas à Becket in 1173. A disastrous fire destroyed much of the priory early in the 13th century, and in 1215 the hospital was refounded by Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester, on a new site on the east side of Borough High Street. There it continued, except for the brief break between its dissolution by Henry VIII and its refounding in 1551 by Edward VI, until the middle of the 19th century. At the beginning of 1859 an Act was passed authorizing the formation of the Charing Cross Railway from London Bridge to Waterloo and Hungerford Market. The line was to cross the garden of St. Thomas' Hospital within a few feet of its new north wing. The governors opposed the Bill, but finding opposition fruitless, decided to sell the whole site to the railway company and move elsewhere, rather than accept ...

Technical Details

f/2.8
1/60 s
22 mm
75 ISO
2304x1728px